Quick Links

Clarkson Public Schools

District

Working...

Ajax Loading Image

Clarkson Public School COVID 19 Updates

SCHEDULING IN THE HOME ENVIRONMENT: Scheduling is something that helps us to establish a sense of comfort and order through routine. Families can plan together a daily schedule that represents household needs, learning time, and personal needs, allowing student voice and choice in the process. Please click on this link for ideas: scheduling in the home environment.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chuck Sepers

Chief Public Health Officer

(402) 562-8969

csepers@ecdhd.ne.gov

DATE:  03/17/20

TIME:  6:00 P.M.

[Columbus, NE] --On Sunday, March 15, all three Columbus area school districts (Columbus Public Schools, Lakeview Community Schools and the Scotus Central Catholic parochial system) announced their plans to close for the week. Based on imminent and looming epidemiological risk, ECDHD now strongly recommends that all schools within their four-county health district close. The four counties are Boone, Colfax, Nance, and Platte.

These recommendations were determined by one identified case of community spread and multiple instances of community exposures within the greater economic region that includes Douglas County. Additionally, in accordance with the guidance of Nebraska Education Commissioner Matthew Blomstedt, it is ECDHD's recommendation that all schools within the ECDHD health district cease face-to-face instruction by Friday.

Additionally, ECDHD also strongly advises that local long-term care facilities implement follow national Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services guidelines and restrict visitation of all visitors and non-essential health care personnel, except for certain compassionate care situations, such as an end-of-life situation. In those cases, visitors will be limited to a specific room only. Facilities are expected to notify potential visitors to defer visitation until further notice (through signage, calls, letters, etc.).

According to new CDC and state guidance, ECDHD recommends that events and public gatherings, including funerals and weddings, should be restricted to ten people or less. This guidance should be applied to all places in which people congregate.

It is also ECDHD’s strong recommendation that childcare centers follow suit and close by Friday in accordance to what is being done across the state in other health districts. For those childcare centers that wish to remain open, they should consider the 10-person restriction guidance.

Because COVID-19 is easily spread from person-to-person, it is not safe for large groups of people to gather. The decision to close school was not undertaken lightly and children and adults should follow the advice of health authorities and limit their contact with other persons, in large or small groups. Locations such as shopping malls, movie theaters and community centers should be avoided.

Persons who believe they need to self-report possible exposure to COVID-19 should call ECDHD. For English, dial (402) 562-8960; for Spanish, dial (402) 562-8963.  Self-reporting is only for persons who meet certain criteria. Persons should self-report if:

• They have been in close contact with a person or persons who have confirmed case(s) of COVID-19; OR

• They have traveled to one of the countries on the CDC Level 2 or 3 Travel List.

Those who need general information about COVID-19 should call 2-1-1 or the NE Department of Health and Human Services COVID-19 Information Line at (402) 552-6645.

While there is currently no vaccine or other medical treatment for COVID-19, there are a few things anyone can do to protect themselves from COVID-19 and other respiratory illnesses: 

• Practice social distancing.  Stay 6 feet away from the person or persons next to you.

• Avoid close contact with sick people and stay home if you are sick. 

• Wash your hands with soap and water often for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water aren’t available, use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. 

• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. 

• Cover your nose and mouth when you cough with your elbow or a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.